Tuesday, March 22, 2011

China, Guangzhou Part II: Of the size of the Chinese, their bathtubs and their looks

Though a continuation of my experiences in China, this is a light post.
The Joke about the size of the Chinese man would be inappropriate if it were not told by one of them. In a window shopping ride to Foshan, the furniture and building materials capital, our Chinese taxi driver for the day, who speaks little English said to me  “African African BIG BIG( *holding his crotch* ), Chinese small, small”. I haven’t stopped laughing at that! we were shocked and amused in equal measure.

Can I fit in your bathtub?

Aiqun hotel bath tu. I cound no fit in

Bath tub after a party, NY
I later tried to use the bathtub at Aiquin hotel and realized the bathtub was way too small and I had to fold myself into an interesting position to fit. I had to take a picture of the bathtub…not with me inside.
The short of it...I COULD NOT TAKE A COMFORTABLE SHOWER IN THE BATHTUB IN CHINA. this is the inspiration of this post.
And there are surely many models of bath tubs, some which I was not aware of prior to this post. and many too are the things people do in bath tubs!
mmm bath tub wooden

ancient bath tub?

Are toilets of standard size?
One of the Kenyan businesspeople who was with us, narrated his story about Chinese and size. Apparently, he imported toilets from China. Only for him to realize when they landed in Nairobi, that the pipe is too small for the African poop…funny you say? Not so for the businessman. The toilets were shipped back for rework at exhorbitant costs. If you are to buy anything for personal use in China, beware of size! lesson learnt!
In our entourage, there was one fairly huge Kenyan guy. The young chinese female guides could not stop taunting his big size. Apparently, if you are fat big in China, be very very afraid, you may never get a suitor.
Can the real father stand up?
Talking about their looks. The story here about the Kenyan girl who got pregnant from a Chinese truck driver along Thika road was told in the media. you can watch it here . this incredible story broke a few days before my trip and it was in my mind all through. The poor girl now cannot tell the father of her child from the crowd!

And what about Yao Ming?
True the average Chinese guy is short relative to us. This is no different from the streets in China. You will be lucky, walking a whole day to meet a guy who is taller than you, never mind you are only 5 f 6" like me. So did the basketballer Yao Ming hail from China?. Same as the tallest man in the world?
Yao Ming doing what he does best

Tallest man meets the shortest

 



No comments: